Thursday, September 11, 2008

Brokenness

I've been reading "Brokenness" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss the last few days. This is actually the second time I've read it. She contrasts the broken person to the unbroken. When I see that fear, loneliness, bondage, bad relationships, communication issues, generation gaps, unresolved conflicts, self-focus, hypocrisy and, yes, even shyness are all caused by pride (the opposite of brokenness), my heart cries out to be broken. I know that the only way for true revival in my heart is to be completely empty of self. God cannot use my religiousness, my outward attempts of righteousness. He wants my humble, contrite, broken heart.

But...am I truly willing to let my heart be broken. I really DO want a deep sense of peace and joy, but can I get myself out of the way, can I let go of the control I think I have? Can I honestly say, "break me, LORD"? Because true brokenness before God involves a constant, daily, minute-by-minute way of life. It is agreeing with God about the condition of my heart. It is destroying my self-will, my self-reliance, my hard heart. I have to know that the outcome far outweighs the process; God has promised me that.

And so...I can say, "yes, LORD, break me".

I think ;)...

A really great quote from the book:
"...the broken, contrite heart is easily molded by the hand of God and does not harden itself against the circumstances God chooses to mold it".

9 comments:

Jessi said...

Margret~ interesting. I've never looked at shyness as pride. I'm curious as to the "generation gaps" thing, what does that mean? It sounds like a wonderful book! A book to spur us on to God's word. Boy, thanks for stirring up my thinking agian!

Jessi said...

oops, a.g.a.i.n.

~~anna~~ said...

I've been able to hear Nancy Leigh DeMoss on the radio a few times while we've been back this time and have really appreciated what she's shared.
But have never read any of her books. Have you read any other ones of hers?

Kati said...

Just a plug for NLD. Her book "Lies Women Believe", God used to absolutely CHANGE MY LIFE. She is an awesome writer, speaker, and just has a true heart for the Lord.

Jessi said...

i'll give another shout out to NLD and "lies women believe" Excellent! but, it was in a time of my life that i needed it!

Charity said...

If NLD ever hosts a conference, I think we should all go to it! ;)

Arlene said...

There is another book, "The Blessings of Brokenness" by Charles Stanley, that I can highly recommend.

I prayed for God to break me and mold me into His image. When the cross came, it was more than I could handle and ended up hospitalized. One counselor warned me, "Never pray that flippantly to God." He was very, very right.

Stay in the Word daily and on your knees, if you pray that prayer, because it WILL be more than you can bear and you will only get through it by the power and grace of the Almighty God. You will be empty.

Trust me. Been there.

Margaret said...

good idea, charity...about the conference! ;)

I will again reiterate that brokenness before God must happen before He can move and work in my heart. It is the only way I can draw near to a Holy God.

Brokenness and destruction are not the same thing. I MUST be empty of myself! Satan wants to destroy me; Christ wants to use me in my brokenness.

How can I not fervently and sincerely beg the LORD to break the bondage that my heart is in- the bondage of my own will, my own control and manipulation, my own reliance.

Jer. 5:23- How can I in any way want it to be said that I "have a stubborn and rebellious heart"?

"I will never meet God in revival until I first meet Him in brokenness. Families will never be whole until husbands and wives, moms and dads and young people have been broken. Our churches will never be the vibrant witness God intended them to be in the world until their members- pastors and laypeople- have experienced brokenness."- NLD

If God needs to get my attention in order to expose the sin rooted and hidden in my heart, would I not want that instead of continuing
in my life of pride and unrighteousness?

Rod and Sara said...

Your blog blessed me today... Love ya!