Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

I've tried to really down-play Mother's Day here...I don't want the kids to think they always have to get me anything or make it seem like a burden. But it seems like they WANT to, which is encouraging as a mom. I remember some of the homemade things when they were little, the cards, the drawings. One memorable year, I was served breakfast in bed complete with the flower in the vase. I usually HATE my food touching on my plate, but that time it didn't seem to matter so much.

This year has probably been the most touching. We had plans to spend the weekend in Indy with some friends. Saturday morning before leaving, Adam (our 18 yr.old) knocked on our bedroom door while I was still lazing in bed and said, "Happy Mother's Day, Mom" and produced roses. While in the mall browsing with our friends on Sunday (our girls had went off to shop by themselves) they appeared with candles for each of us moms. And then, to top the weekend off, after we got home Sunday night, all the kids produced a certificate for a one hour rejuvination facial.

The really cool part is not the gifts themselves, but that the kids take the time to know who I am as a person and what really speaks to me. Thanks kids...I love you all so much!

3 comments:

Kati said...

You have awesome kids, Margaret! I got two quickly-drawn, hand-made cards (which were done while I was in the shower Sunday morning!). Now, I'm not meaning to sound ungrateful..............BUT, there is something meaningful knowing there was some THOUGHT put into it before 8:30 Sunday morning!

Margaret said...

It's much, much easier, Kati, when they are older and can take care of gifts themselves.

And...btw, how was your birthday?

Kati said...

I know, but I was hoping their DADDY might help them out a little bit. After all, he played a major role in making me a MOTHER!!

All I can say about my b-day is poo-poo for every comment I got like, "OH isn't it so nice your birthday fell on Mother's Day this year?" It wasn't so nice when we had to wait in line to get a table at lunch because I was sharing my b-day dinner with every other mother in Darke County who was getting treated to a meal out!!

As you can tell, I'm still a little bitter about the whole thing. I can say it gives me a lot more sympathy for people whose b-day is around Christmas!

(This is all quite tongue-in-cheek. I'm not REALLY bitter. Just a little. :)