Monday, May 26, 2008

2000 Miles

Goodness...I've never had a week go by so fast. :-)

Last weekend, my uncle, who lives in Quinter, Kansas, passed away from cancer. My mom, two of my aunts and myself started out last Monday around 12:30 pm for my sister's house in Indiana where we were meeting another sister from northern IN. The 6 of us piled into her Suburban and headed for Kansas. We drove to the west side of St. Louis before stopping for the night.

Here's the interesting thing- I'm used to traveling with my husband who would never just drive around looking for a hotel. He would have calculated where we would be by bedtime and made advance reservations. We have 6 women, none of whom want to make a decision about our nightime accomodations. I have it within me to take charge, and yet feel the need to not be controlling- a real fine line, at times. Anyway, we finally decide and settle in for the night.

The next morning, we were on the way. We got to Quinter around 7:00pm on Tuesday, in time for the visitation. My aunt was so grateful we had made the effort to go, and that, in turn, made me thankful that my husband and children were willing to take care of things at home so I could go. We attended the funeral on Wed. morning and headed for home after spending the afternoon with my aunt and cousins.

This one thing I know- I will never be tempted to move to western central Kansas! I had forgotten the ever-present blowing wind, the dry, dusty air, the gravel roads...It's not a pleasant feeling to bite down on grit. Some of the locals commented that the day of the funeral was one of the windiest they have had in a while.

We spent Wed. night east of Kansas City. We were on the road Thurs. morning by 6 bells. We got to my sister's Thurs. evening and than had the 3 1/2 hour ride back to Ohio. I enjoyed the time with the ladies, but I was certainly glad to be home again. The kids had taken excellent care of everything, including meals and laundry.

My husband was actually kind of apprehensive about me going. We couldn't remember the last time I had went away and left him at home with the kids. He said he was nervous because he really didn't know how to do everything I do...and so, that was probably a good thing- for him to see a little of that.

Jerald took the day off Friday so we could have a 4-day weekend. We spent most of that time working outside, with a break on Sat. to attend a friend's graduation open house.

Like I said, the week flew by...here it is Mon. already.

2 comments:

Kati said...

You've trained them WELL, Margaret, if your kids were able to keep the household together while you were gone!!

Glad you're home and hope to see you tomorrow at LG!!

Anonymous said...

We missed you Thursday night at LG. Glad your trip was ok. I just spent the last three days with my sister - talking girl stuff. I was nice but I too was glad to be home and back to "normal".


Chris