Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Season

Even though I start feeling a teensy bit of stress at everything that needs to be accomplished right now, I still enjoy this time of year. It's a time of being at home as much as possible, baking with my girls and listening to Christmas music. (My favorites right now are Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Fernando Ortega). The secret for me is to look ahead about 4 weeks in my planner and list all the food for various family get-togethers that needs to be made and plan accordingly. Everything possible goes in the freezer.

Jerald and I always take a weekend in early December and go to another city to Christmas shop. It's nice to be able to talk openly (versus secret code) about what we need to buy and order, and I always love his input. Plus the hotel and eating out are nice little amenities!

This week, we are putting as much in the freezer as we can. Brooke made tons of cookies for a couple gatherings, I made a cheesecake for Jerald's work Christmas and various candies (fudge, buckeyes, cream cheese candies). I'm also helping my mom get some food in her freezer for the family Christmas of 40+ brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, etc. Next week will be more of the same, plus finish shopping and wrapping.

We are going to Indiana the day after Christmas for Jerald's family Christmas. I have all the gifts bought and wrapped for that except one and that one is up to Jerald. Our tradition for dinner is tacos. Jerald's mom has MS and is no longer able to get around very well, so we are going to his brother's for the actual dinner and gifts. My contribution for the meal is appetizers, wassail, cookies and candy.

My family Christmas is always the New Year's weekend, Friday night to Sunday, although some don't come until Sat. My mom's house isn't big enough for everyone to stay there, so I host some of the family here (most are from out-of-state). Interestingly enough, we also have a tradition of tacos for dinner Saturday night. (It's simply amazing how different something like tacos can taste). On Sunday, we have a baked potato bar. My mom usually takes care of the Friday night supper by herself, but I'm helping with that this year. It's been soup and apple dumplings for a very long time.

Adam doesn't get home from Africa until January 4th, so Christmas with our kids will be the following weekend, Jan. 9th & 10th. The eve before gifts, we have snacky-type foods and play games together. The next day we have a hearty breakfast, gifts and a tradition of fondue for dinner.

On top of Christmas, we also have some birthdays to work in: Adam-Dec. 27th and Colin-Jan. 2nd. I usually let the kids choose their favorite meal; they range from roast beef & mashed potatoes to chicken fajitas.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus.
That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord, help me today, show me the way, one day at a time.

11 comments:

Kati said...

I'm tired just reading it, Margaret....Whew!!

You're right to take it one day at a time.

Are you missing LIFE group as much as I am? Of course it would be hard to fit into your schedule right now.....

JanAl said...

Wow! And I thought things were busy here! I think I will go take a nap for you!:}

The Baker Family said...

yummy! I had forgotten about wassil (sp?!)

I am currently feeling like I am down to one hour at a time, instead of one day at a time! (which reminds me... why am I not cleaning for the company that is coming in tomorrow?!) The important things will be done, and everything else, probably won't even be missed. The important thing in remembering Christ's birth and spending time together with our families!!

Anonymous said...

i like janal's idea. that's TWO naps in your name :)

Margaret said...

actually, i got my own nap in today! but i hope you took one anyway. :)

you're right, malinda. remembering Christ is the most important thing!

the funny thing is, girls, i'm really not stressed at all because i love the decorations, the music, the time with my kids. it's only when i look ahead and start over-thinking that i get nervous. but, like i said, planning is the key and realizing that i don't have to do it all.

Nicole Marie said...

WAIT>WAIT>WAIT>WAIT.....
You FORGOT one other very Very VERY important day, the day you get to choose what to do and not to do....
Your own birthday........ So in the midst of chaos you get one whole day!!!!!

Jodi Bradshaw said...

Yeah for Christmas baking! I love putting on the Christmas music and making cookies. Sounds like you have some very busy (but fun) weeks ahead.

By the way, we are going to see the Transiberian (sp?) Orchestra in concert tomorrow in Columbus. I will let you know how it was!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

so when exactly is the birthday?

Anonymous said...

nevermind. i'll just tell everyone else since now i know....

it's JAN. 5TH!

Margaret said...

THANKS, DEE!!!! :(

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU !!

:):):)