Friday, November 9, 2007

Revelation


In my reading this week, I came across the neatest verses...you know how that is, I've probably read this a million times before, but it never sank in.

2 Corinthians 2:14-16
"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?"

Aren't those just some of the sweetest word choices: triumphal procession, fragrance, aroma.

After some research, I found out Paul used those words for an exact purpose. Victorious Roman generals were given the privelege of parading through Rome with burning incense, followed by the conquered army who were either going to death or a life of slavery. The church in Corinth would have understood the imagery of these words.

Christ is the Victory and it is through me (and you) that the fragrance of the gospel is being spread. Is the aroma of my fragrance pointing others towards life or death? What is my life telling those around me? Wow!

0 comments: